Write Off Your Moving Expenses
Moving expenses are tax deductible if:
l. Your new job or job transfer is at least 50 miles farther from your home than the old house was.
2. You did not have a job and the new one is at least 50 miles from your old house.
3. If you are in the armed forces and had a permanent change of station.
Qualified deductions include
- Packing and transporting household goods
- Mileage for use of your own car (or gas and oil expenses)
- Tolls and parking fees on the trip
- Up to 30 days' storage of household goods
- Disconnecting and connecting utilities
- Transportation and lodging for yourself and members of your household while traveling to the new home.
No longer allowable: $3,000 more for up to 30 days’ temporary living expenses, house hunting trips and costs of selling or buying a home.